Thursday, April 24, 2014

Turning 49 years old

About a month ago, I turned 49 years old. For the first time in my life, I did spend time thinking about my age and the fact that next year, I will be 50 years old or, if you prefer, I'll be half of century old!

It sounds a lot, lot of years when you say 50. But, is this really true? What does age really mean today? I have to say that my view regarding age is obviously influenced by life as a scientist, mother (our children are 4 and 12 years old) and as a biology professor at our local university.

As a biologist and academic, I have the opportunity to interact with many people, especially those who are usually between 20-25 years old.  Although I should always feel old when interacting with them, I have to admit that I sometimes feel younger and more energetic than them. Like most of you, I know other people who are in the 50-70s who are extremely active not only physically speaking (workouts, running, etc), but are also emotionally involved in projects and causes.

So, it's age really important? What does it mean to be 50 years old in the 21st century? What does it mean to be young? or old? Is age a factor? What is your definition of old? What is age correlated with? Do you consider yourself young or old?

Answers?
Post a Comment