Tuesday, April 29, 2014

How to Make Time to Read a Book?

Every night when I go to bed, I really hope to have enough energy to read at least 10 pages of a book. I am currently reading  Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It's supposed to be an excellent book, but as usual, I am having lots of trouble reading more than 3-4 pages every night without falling sleep.

 I get up at 5:30 am to do my 30-minute workout in the basement, then I take my shower, and then have to organize breakfast and lunches for our two children. I can't never leave home before 8:50 - 9:00 am. After a full day at work, we still have to organize supper and make certain that our children, especially our 4 years old is sleeping not later than 9:00 pm (which I am certain many parents probably consider very late for a 4-year old kid). Very often, I have to work on lectures for my courses or research projects until 10:30 or 11:00 pm. So, by the time that I am in bed, I only have a few minutes to read. It's a really bit frustrating because over the last months (or even year), I have started several books and have only been able to finish one. It takes too much time to finish reading a book, and I lose interest on the book.

Recently, one of my friends, suggested to get audio version of books. I have tried this and find that it works well for some books/topics, but not for others. I think that for books where details and symbols are important (e.g., Foucault's Pendulum), audiobooks are not a good option. So, unless there are other solutions (suggestions???), finding time to read some pages of the book during the day may be the only solution.
Post a Comment