Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Day the Crayons Quit -- A funny and Creative Book for Children




The Day the Crayons Came Home was a gift that my son received last year when he turned 4 years old. The author of the book is Drew Daywalt who collaborated with Oliver Jeffers (illustrator) to produce this fantastic book.

I remember that the first time that I open The Day the Crayons Came Home, I was particularly impressed by the quality of the illustrations -- what a beautiful book! My son and I read it a couple of days after his birthday (almost a year ago), but I still remember how much we both laughed that evening when reading the book. 

Let me tell you a little bit about the main story of the book. The Day the Crayons Came Home is about a little boy named Duncan who has an expected discovery one day at school.  When he goes to take out his crayons, Duncan discovers that all his crayons have written him letters of complaint!  Red Crayon is worn out from overuse, Grey Crayon is tired of colouring in large animals such as elephants, hippos and whales. Black Crayon is extremely tired of only being used to outline things. Orange Crayon and Yellow Crayon are not speaking to each other as each claims to be the true colour of the sun. Beige Crayon feels ignored while Pink Crayon only gets used by Duncan's little sister. 

Here are two extracts of the book that I found particularly funny:

Beige Crayon: I’m tired of being called “light brown” or “Dark tan” because I am neither. I am BEIGE and I am proud. I’m also tired of being second place to Mr. Brown Crayon. It’s not fair that Brown gets all the bears, ponies and puppies while the only things I get are turkey dinners (if I’m lucky) and wheat, and let’s be honest–when was the last time you saw a kid excited about coloring wheat?

Peach Crayon:  It’s me, PEACH CRAYON. WHY did you peel off my paper wrapping?? Now I’m NAKED and too embarrassed to leave the crayon box.
I don’t even have any underwear! How would You like to go to school naked? I need some clothes. HELP!
 


Honestly, eac
h one of the letters is just precious, hilarious and beautifully illustrated. Each crayon’s letter has been seemingly scanned into the pages of the book, scrawled in childish handwriting and accompanied by examples of some of ‘Duncan’s’ drawings to illustrate their point.

My son's favourite letter is the Peach Crayon, "the naked crayon". Personally, I enjoyed very much the dispute between the Yellow and Orange crayons that were fighting over who should be used to colour the sun! Until that point, I have never considered this, but it's true, we often use yellow or orange to paint the sun!

Was Duncan able to appease all of his crayons?
The answer is yes! The story of "The Day the Crayons Came Home" ends when Duncan finds a creative way to please while using each one his crayons. 
 But, I will not tell you the end of the story, just in case you decide to read it.

A fantastic book that I highly recommend!
Post a Comment