Wednesday, March 4, 2015

7 Habits of Happy Kids



Recently, my son and I discovered the book "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids " by Sean Covey; what a great book!

Initially, I was not certain if my son would love the book, but to my surprise, he liked it enormously. He loved the stories and the characters. The seven stories included in the book are cute and illustrated in a way that really engages the kids. 

Very quickly, my son realized that each story in The 7 Habits of Happy Kids had a "message"; and these messages were very clear and easy to understand (even for a 5 years old!).

Each one of the stories focuses on a different "habit". To give you an idea of the habits, here is a list of them:

1. Be proactive
2. Begin with the end in mind
3. Put first things first
4. Think win-win
5. Seek first to understand, then be understood
6. Synergize
7. Sharpen the saw



Source: http://www.warrencountyschools.org/userfiles/2277/7%20habits.png

There are also questions at the end of each chapter for the parent to ask the child.   My 5-year-old can't always answer these questions, but they open discussion and allow for teachable moments. There are also suggestions how to integrate the "7 habits" into our child's daily life.

 I also did a quick online search and found lots of resources (see below for a few that I found particularly interesting) that parents and teachers have developed for those who are interested in reading The 7 Habits of Happy Kids

I highly recommend you read The 7 Habits of Happy Kids .

Resources

7 Habits of Happy Kids Posters
7 Habits of Happy Kids Classroom Posters
Post a Comment