Friday, January 8, 2016

It's Never Too Late To Talk about A Wonderful Christmas


Since I moved to Prince Edward Island (almost 20 years ago), I had only spent one Christmas in Montreal. I used to live in Montreal and many of my relatives still live there. Regretfully, I had never made the effort to spend Christmas in Montreal over the last 17 or 18 years.

But, this year was different. We (my husband, my son and I) made the decision to spend Christmas in Montreal with my mother, siblings and their families, cousins and other close friends. 

It was a very exciting time because my husband and son had never spent Christmas with my whole family - so, it was the first time that they would experience my family's Christmas traditions. 





Going to Montreal for Christmas is not always as simple as it sounds. Travelling during winter time in Canada is never easy, especially if you have to do this with a small child and a dog. Acceptable weather conditions combined with the skills of an excellent driver (my husband!) worked in our favour. We were able to get to Montreal just after supper time.




I honestly believe that for my family no other event is quite as magical as Christmas Eve 
- It's really the most special night of the year. As my younger brother said it, Christmas Eve is the night of the miracles. 

It's amazing how when you have a large family, Christmas can be beautifully loud and busy. Adults and children talking at the same time, dancing or trying to help organize the gifts around the Christmas tree. 

The best of Christmas for us is waiting till midnight on Christmas Eve to wish "Merry Christmas" to each person who is attending the celebration - purely special - a moment when we easily forget all our differences and problems and are just immensely happy to be there together.

Christmas Eve provided us with an opportunity to laugh about all kind of simple things and to remember those who we still love, but are not with us anymore. 

It is often said that describing an emotion is not the same as experiencing it. That is how I feel about Christmas. Although I have described many times to my husband and my son how my family celebrates Christmas, it wasn't the same as to experience it - now, they know it.

I feel extremely fortunate to have had the chance to spend Christmas with so many loving and wonderful people - A Christmas that I will never forget!




  
Post a Comment